Home Sweet Home

Thursday, September 15, 2005

AWAY FROM HOME

I chose for myself the name "Away from Home" cause that is what I really am. I am an Egyptian living in an Arab country. I won't mention the name of this country for two reasons. First, to talk freely about my experience without hurting the feelings of its native-readers, and the second thing is, not to "bite the hand the feeds you". I always complained about Europeans and Americans coming to Egypt and then saying bad things about us. I used to tell them "if you don't like Egypt, you are most welcomed to leave it". That is why; I don't want to fall in the same trap.

The people in this country are quite friendly and decent. However, I feel that I can't easily fit. It grabbed my attention that the women here are killing themselves to look like Haifaa Wahby and Nancy Agram. They don't mind going through painful plastic surgeries just to look like these celebrities. You can hardly see a woman walking down the street with no make-up on or a simple pony-tail. The popular issues to talk about here are; fashion and beauty salons.

It really bothers me to see that kind of superficial women. It is great to take care of one's look and figure, but, this is not the most important thing in life. Sometimes, I blame it all on the media. The media is brain-washing the women these days, driving them away from reading, talking about serious issues, fighting for their ideas … I wish to find a way to change this attitude. To convince women that they are not just Barbie dolls. They are humans with BRAINS after all.

Posted by Wonderer :: 2:54 AM :: 9 comments

Post a Comment

---------------oOo---------------